Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Diced Thumb


Rushing to get ready for our recent gig at Angel Stadium of Anaheim (which was actually an amazing evening...more to come in a separate post), I jammed my thumb across the teeth of a packing tape dispenser, and watched the blood start to flow...much to my chagrin. The saving grace was that the gig that night wasn't going to involve any slapping.

The bummer was that another production retreat for the "Pondering" follow-up (dang...I definitely need to come up with a name for this project) started the day after, and it was going to involve a lot of slap work. Suffice it to say that I ended up having to bail on my original plans and focus on other aspects of the project...because my thumb was expressing its displeasure every time I even entertained the thought of considering the possibility of maybe attempting a potential slap or two. :^)

The pic was taken a few days after the initial slicing debacle (for those of you who are looking at the pic and wondering exactly how much of a wimp this Norm guy really is). :^)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

some triple-antibiotic ointment and a band-aid will aid healing time dramatically.

Norm said...

Thanks, Jeff! Yeah...I should have gone that route...I ended up just leaving it open to the air...it seems to have healed ok, but it does actually still hurt a bit when I slap. My solo last night had the first slapping I've done since 8/16! :^)

Blessings- Norm

Anonymous said...

You could have gone the Stevie Ray Vaughan solution and just superglued the skin back together. 5 minutes & you're done.

I wonder if a superglued surface on your thumb would change the recorded tone?

Norm said...

Actually, the cuts were deep enough that the LAST thing I wanted to do was put something on them that would have had a "lemon-juice-on-paper-cut" kind of effect. I'm reasonably sure that a super glue application would have sent me through the roof.

:^)

The super glue might affect the tone a bit, although probably not a ton unless I used too much.

Blessings- Norm